A Cologne imam has said the victims of the New Years Eve mob sex attacks had themselves to blame because they wore perfume.
Sami Abu-Yusuf added that he was not surprised the girls were sexually assaulted, groped and raped, because of the way they dressed.
Hundreds of women were attacked by a mob of men in Cologne’s city centre on New Years Eve, with the number of alleged sexual assaults now tallying up to 521, including three rapes.
‘It is not surprising the men wanted to attack them. [Dressing like that] is like adding fuel to the fire’.
Sami Abu-Yusuf is the Imam of the Al Tawheed mosque in Cologne, preaching Salafism - an ultra-conservative form of Sunni Islam.
The mosque has been investigated by German intelligence in the past, and was raided in 2004 to break up a ’secret network of Arab Mujahideen’, according to Breitbart.
This comes as German prosecutors say the number of complaints filed in connection with the New Years Eve attacks in Cologne has now passed 800.
About 521 complaints allege some kind of sexual assault, including three rapes. The overall number of complaints has grown from 766 on Monday to 809 on Tuesday.
Cologne police are investigating 21 people from North African countries in connection with the New Years Eve attacks for robbery, theft and trafficking stolen goods. Eight suspects are currently in detention, with one of them is accused of sexual assault for allegedly groping a woman.
Police logs from the night reveal the full horror the women experienced when they were set upon by the out-of-control mob of men on the steps of the city’s historic cathedral.
The notes reveal how women complained they were surrounded by men who tried to put their hands inside their tights and knickers and even insert their fingers in their vaginas.
One woman told police she was surrounded by 20 men of North African appearance before they attacked her, while another said hands were ‘all over her breasts and buttocks’.
Thieves rifled through a woman’s handbag while others distracted her by shoving their hands underneath her clothes.
In an appalling catalogue of complaints, the women who were attacked by up to 2,000 men during a fireworks display in the square by the cathedral in front of Cologne’s train station told how they had mobile phones, bank cards and cash stolen.
One reads: ‘Several injured women. All suffered attempts to introduce fingers in vaginas, tights. All were touched on the chest and buttocks. Finger was introduced inside a victim.’
It has since emerged that similar ‘mob sex assaults’ have been carried out in other German cities and other European countries, including Sweden, Finland and Austria.
After reports that the attacks were carried out by ‘mainly Arabic and North African men’, protests have been held all over Europe to limit migration into the EU.
BERLIN – German Chancellor Angela Merkel faced growing pressure to harden her line on refugees on Monday as the first extensive police report on New Year’s Eve violence in Cologne documented rampant sexual assaults on women by gangs of young migrant men.
Cologne police said at least 11 foreigners, including Pakistanis, Guineans and Syrians, had been injured on Sunday evening in attacks by hooligans bent on revenge for the assaults in the city.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere condemned those attacks and warned against a broader backlash against refugees following the events in Cologne, which have deepened skepticism toward Merkel’s policy of welcoming migrants.
A report from the Interior Ministry in the state of North Rhine-Wesphalia (NRW), where Cologne lies, said a total of 516 criminal complaints had been registered, 237 of which were of a sexual nature.
A separate report from the Cologne police gave graphic descriptions of the crimes, listing case after case of women surrounded by gangs of men who put their hands in the victims’ pants and skirts, grabbed them between the legs, on the buttocks and the breasts, often while stealing their wallets and cellphones.
A total of 19 suspects have been identified, all of them foreigners.
He also criticized them for refusing to communicate in the days after New Year’s Eve that the vast majority of the perpetrators were people with migration backgrounds, blaming this on misguided “political correctness.
“More than 1,000 Arab and North African men gathered on New Year’s Eve near Cologne cathedral and the main train station. Among them were many refugees that came to Germany in the past months,” Jaeger told a special parliamentary committee in NRW.
Protesters held aloft a sign reading, “Arm Cologne” as up to 500 people rallied against attacks by members of the migrant community during the city’s New Year celebrations, and the authorities’ failure to stop dozens of sexual assaults which took place.
Organized via social networks, hundreds of men and women demonstrated against the intolerable levels of abuse witnessed by women at the hands of certain male refugees at Cologne’s main train station on New Year’s Eve.
So far 90 women have reported being sexually molested, threatened and robbed outside Cologne Cathedral by men of “Arab or North African” origin, police said on Tuesday.
Those gathered at the scene of the crimes slammed the government’s open door refugee policy, enacted by German Chancellor Angela Merkel in September. Women held up signs reading, “Mrs Merkel – Where are you?” and “Thank you [Cologne Mayor] Mrs. Reker. Arm Cologne.”
The mass attack on women occurred while festivities were in full swing, with the noise of revelers apparently distracting many during the incidents. Up to 1,000 men could be suspects in what the authorities called a “crime of a whole new dimension.”
Tuesday’s rally to protect women’s rights came after Mayor Henriette Reker held a crisis meeting with Chief of Police, Wolfgang Albers, and head of federal police, Wolfgang Wurm, where she urged women to adopt a “code of conduct.”
Reker also called for a “better explanation” of acceptable behavior at public gatherings to the city’s migrant community, as she pledged to step up security ahead of next month’s Cologne Carnival.
“We need to prevent confusion about what constitutes happy behavior and what is utterly separate from openness, especially in sexual behavior,” she said, promising to beef up security at mass events.
The mayor also revealed that the same kind of New Year’s chaos in Cologne has also happened elsewhere in Germany.
“We have heard by now that they [the attacks] have occurred in other cities. This of course is not comforting to us.”
In addition to Cologne attacks by migrants on women were apparently reported in Hamburg. At least ten cases were reported over the night of New Year in the St. Pauli district. According to the city’s police, victims had been approached by several men of “southern or Arab appearance” on Beatles Platz and in the Grosse Freiheit, who sexually harassed women aged 18 to 24.
Assaults on women have also taken place in Stuttgart where two 18-year-old women had reportedly been sexually abused and robbed by a group of over a dozen men on New Year’s Eve.
Two German newspapers have published separate allegations that police checks on New Year’s Eve had revealed most of those involved in the New Year’s Eve sex attacks in Cologne to be asylum-seekers.
Angela Merkel’s government is facing damaging allegations of a police cover-up over the series of attacks, with claims that most of those responsible were asylum seekers who arrived under her “open-door” refugee policy. Scores of women were sexually assaulted after a crowd of some 1000 men took over the square near Cologne cathedral on New Year’s Eve.
An internal report on the attacks by a senior police officer, leaked to the German media, described offenders claiming to be Syrian refugees.
The leaked police report, published in Bild newspaper and Der Spiegel magazine, claims one of those involved told officers: “I am Syrian. You have to treat me kindly. Mrs Merkel invited me”.
Another, it says, tore up his residence permit before the eyes of police, and told them: “You can’t do anything to me, I can get a new one tomorrow.” The report describes the violence as more serious than thought. It was written by the commander of a force of around 100 officers sent to the square as reinforcements, according to Bild.
Senior ministers have said there is no evidence refugees were involved and Cologne police have claimed they do not know the backgrounds of the perpetrators. But allegations are mounting that police may have sought to cover up evidence of the involvement of asylum-seekers.
Welt am Sonntag, a Sunday newspaper, described the official version of events as “untrue” in a rare online report ahead of its edition and claimed police had checked the ID papers of more than 100 suspects on New Year’s Eve. “Most of them were newly arrived asylum seekers. They presented documents that are handed out at asylum application offices,” it quoted an unnamed police officer as saying.
The mayor of Cologne has summoned police for crisis talks after about 80 women reported sexual assaults and muggings by men on New Year’s Eve.
The scale of the attacks on women at the city’s central railway station has shocked Germany. About 1,000 drunk and aggressive young men were involved.
City police chief Wolfgang Albers called it “a completely new dimension of crime”. The men were of Arab or North African appearance, he said.
Women were also targeted in Hamburg.
But the Cologne assaults - near the city’s iconic cathedral - were the most serious, German media report. At least one woman was raped, and many were groped.
The attacks took place close to Cologne Cathedral as fireworks exploded celebrating the new year
Now the sexual harassment, and in one case rape, of dozens of women has shocked Germany.
What is particularly disturbing is that the attacks appear to have been organised. Around 1,000 young men arrived in large groups, seemingly with the specific intention of carrying out attacks on women.
Police in Hamburg are now reporting similar incidents on New Year’s Eve in the party area of St Pauli. One politician says this is just the tip of the iceberg.
One man described how his partner and 15-year-old daughter were surrounded by an enormous crowd outside the station and he was unable to help. “The attackers grabbed her and my partner’s breasts and groped them between their legs.”
A British woman visiting Cologne said fireworks had been thrown at her group by men who spoke neither German nor English. “They were trying to hug us, kiss us. One man stole my friend’s bag,” she told the BBC. “Another tried to get us into his ‘private taxi’. I’ve been in scary and even life-threatening situations and I’ve never experienced anything like that.”
In Hamburg several women told police that gangs of men had molested and robbed them on New Year’s Eve on the Reeperbahn - a street known for its boisterous night life.
Some similar attacks were reported in Stuttgart.
A policeman who was outside Cologne station during the New Year’s Eve trouble told the city’s Express news website that he had detained eight suspects. “They were all asylum seekers, carrying copies of their residence certificates,” he said.
“The views expressed by Commenters and Guest Writers on this Blog and Website may not reflect the views of the NZ National Front – however we stand for freedom of speech and the inalienable rights of New Zealanders to hold and express their opinions. People have a clear choice whether or not to view this Website and the Comments Blog – the NZ National Front respectfully suggests that people exercise that choice without judgement… particularly if the views held and expressed may cause offence to any person or persons. We consider this fair warning and disclaimer”